Thursday, September 2, 2010

Vegas baby

I'm in Vegas for the long Labor Day weekend to see the Badgers play football against UNLV and have a relaxing weekend to end the summer.

I really hope to make it relaxing but to be honest it always hard for me to be away from home for anything more than a couple of days.  And this is 6 days in Vegas - and Vegas days are like dog years where they count as more than a regular vacation day.

Today I made it out for a run before 9:30 am.  The earlier you go the better as today is supposed to get over 100F.   The plan is spend the majority of the day at the hotel pool -- and my frugal side hopes I can also squeeze in a trip to a grocery store or Walgreens to pick up some Gatoraid and water for the room.  The hotel room water tastes awful.  In fact it's hard to rise the mouth after brushing the teeth - it's that bad tasting.  I did bring snacks - baked cheetoes, pretzel sticks, mentos and cola gummies (my travel favorites) .  These snacks help and it helps my mental state to have purchased these at home at regular non-inflated costs.

Vegas is never easy to eat healthy - there is much too much of late night food and no veggies.  But I'm going to make an effort to keep it reasonable - that means enjoying myself and with the group but keeping the excess to a minimum (and again Vegas has a different definition of excess compared to home).    So far doing OK - at the airport everyone was eating and had already eaten a small dinner at home and wasn't really hungry but I got the sandwich anyway.  And to be fair it was a healthy sandwich - we were at an organic deli.   I justified it knowing that I would not have a chance to have anything (healthy or not) for the next several hours.   And overall I think that choice was good because after we got settled into the hotel rooms the group wanted to eat and I chose not to order anything.  I had a few fries and a chicken wing that people shared with me, but that was much less calories, fat, and money than if I had ordered something for myself.

I need to find a way to get some decent breakfast food (my next challenge?!!) that I can start my day with while the rest of the group is still sleeping.   I'm hoping we get to a grocery store and I get a bag of apples and some granola-type bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment