Friday, February 14, 2014

So happy I ran today

I'm starting to be a runner again.   It's come and gone multiple times within my adult life.  Luckily for me a few friends wanted to start doing the C25K program (coach to 5K).   It was the right re-start for me.  It's a slow and steady progression,  and our secrete group on facebook really helped keep us motivated and accountable.   I unofficially finished the program earlier this week - according to the app I'm ready for the 5K. LOL

The group is planning to do a 5K sometime in March.  We haven't picked a run yet.  I'm looking forward to it, and also to meeting some of these ladies in person for the first time.  I knew only two of them when we started the program.

Today I continued with the next program level C210K - with the hopes that will get me in shape to meet my Crazy Legs personal goal of finishing the 8K (4.96 miles) within 1 hour.  That's a 12 minute mile - which is considered pretty slow but it's faster than I am now.  
I have 2 friends running it and I think they are at about the 12 minute mile - so it should be good and fun to be able to run it together.  I really want to be in shape so that I'm not holding them back or they are dragging me along.  I want to be in shape and comfortable with that pace and enjoy the ability to run together and talk.

But I started this post because I was so glad I ran today.  The weather here in Austin, TX was in the high 70s - maybe a little warm.  But honestly I'm not complaining!  It's so cold back home I'll take the extra heat.
The run along Lady Bird Lake was very pleasant.  It's a nice trail, there are lots of people and it made me feel good.  

Just this week I switched out my reminder mantra to "Respect Yourself".  With that in mind, I have been making a few changes to take care of me, and respect myself,   Going for the run today was respecting myself.  It was a little longer than I would normally want to be away from work, but my team can manage it. It's time I take advantage of these opportunities I have.  Not in a negative opportunistic way, but in the venue that not everyone has these opportunities and I should take advantage of them when they come up

A few pictures from my run today - beautiful trail and beautiful weather.  Well work the extra 30 minutes at lunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment