Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Me, Wally and the mouse in my house

It made me happy to find this email.  I had sent it back in October of 2001 - just a couple of weeks after I had adopted Wally.  I went looking for this write up shortly after his death (in March of 2011) but it had been rolled off my yahoo email history.  I thought I had lost it forever.  I'm so glad I found it!





 Here’s a little sorry about me and Wally that you may enjoy…..  

 Sunday afternoon I was doing laundry and Wally kept trying to get between the washer and the wall. I couldn’t figure out what he was doing, in fact I thought he was just stupid because the ironing board was in the way and he would never fit. But right about then, a little mouse that he was trying to reach ran out and tried to get into the closet across from the washer. I screamed a high-pitched yell that even surprised myself. I wanted a chair to jump on and a broom to wave at the mouse. Since no chair was nearby, I instead jumped and high-stepped around, continuing to yell things like “you don’t belong here!!” and “Get out of my house!!” to the mouse. All of which did nothing but make the mouse run around more and scared Wally. The mouse quickly ran back under the washer, Wally kept a vigil watch and I went outside to plant bulbs in the garden – I did not want to be in the house. I stayed outside until I left to go to Don and Jane's for dinner.  

 After coming home from Emily’s b-day dinner I sat in the living room. The laundry was done but I had no desire to get near enough to take it out of the dryer. While I was sitting there and trying to get my courage up, I hear this “squeak, squeak” and in strolls Wally with the mouse in his mouth. I jumped up on the couch and Wally sat down right in front of me, keeping the mouse in his mouth the entire time. The mouse was still alive making squeaking noise and whipping its tail around Wally’s whiskers. I quickly yelled and jumped from the couch over the coffee table and beyond Wally, ran into my room and put on a pair of shoes. If I were to face this creature I need to have shoes, it would kill me to have it touch my toes. I ran back out, closing the bedroom door so it wouldn’t get in. Wally had guessed that I was yelling at him and let the mouse go, so we had the mouse running around the living room, and Wally and I chasing it, with me making the most noise, followed by the mouse and Wally getting into the spirit of things with several load meows.  

 The mouse hid under the couch. I tilted the couch and called for Wally to “Go get him!” and Wally ran under the couch and chased the mouse out. I ran into the kitchen and retrieved an empty butter tub to try to use to catch the mouse. So now you have me running around bent over with the butter tub near the floor, but jumping up and away as soon as I actually get near the mouse. I needed more space between me and the mouse, so I quickly searched the basement for a box, all the while Wally is chasing the mouse around the family room. I can hear the two of them running around and making noises as I frantically search for something to catch the mouse with because I was not going to touch it directly with any part of my body.  

 Just as I was coming up from the basement, Wally chased the mouse to the front door. I joined the two of them and slammed the shoebox upside down over the mouse and scooted it back so I could open the door and lifted the box so the mouse could run outside.  

 I picked up Wally to thank him and give him a little love. He was a happy boy and wanted to kitty kiss me but he had just had a mouse in his mouth and I had to push his face away. He had to settle for some kitty treats instead of a kiss, that will have to wait until he brushes his teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment