Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Weirdest Resolution

This is the weirdest resolution I've ever made.  But before I get it to it some background info....

I feel a bit overwhelmed with the volume of stuff I own.   I've written about my clutter before, and my attempts to reduce it.  I am conflicted by my frugality and not wanting to get rid of something that is still usable, and also conflicted because I still want to pick up 'good deals' even if I don't need it right now.  I've also written about my Zen side that makes it hard for me to donate my stuff when I'm not sure it will be treated with love and respect.  That's a whole different challenge to deal with. 

So back to the weirdest resolution ...  for the next year I will not purchase soap until Nov 11, 2014.

Weird!

I know - very weird.   But I have so much here and its time to use it up and reduce the stock pile.  I have a deep love for Bath and Body Works scented shower gels.  And my frugal side kicks in when the have a good sale and stock pile too much.  So I'm going to do something about it.  I'm not going to add more - I'm forcing myself to use it up. 

This includes the shower gels, bar soap ( have a ton of that too, especially gift and travel sizes), shampoo (I have a lot of travel size), and hand washing soap.   This does not include laundry soap, dish washing soap.

I can use it up, throw it out, or gift it away; but I can't purchase more until next year's bday or if I run out before that.  I will accept soaps when they are given to me or included with other items. 

I need to get rid of anything that doesn't work for me.  Some soaps try out my skin too much.  But it does me no good to keep them - so if they don't work then git them out of the house - donating, trashing, gifting are all possible options but they can't stay here. 

I am going to make one exception - holiday scented shower gel.  These do add to my enjoyment of the season.   And my frugal side kicks in to say I should purchase these at the super discounted day after Christmas sale.   Otherwise I would be purchasing them at full price around Thanksgiving - and that would bum me out.   So I'll do a check on what I've used up this year (I have more than enough for this year, maybe even enough for 2014) and see how much remains - then make a decision on if I need to purchase more for 2014's Holiday Season, or if it can wait till the 2014 day after Christmas restock.

No comments:

Post a Comment