Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April Update on Running Progress and Goals



In a nutshell, my goals and status update:

First goal is to be ready for the BLS Fun Runs
Overall summer pace goal is to be a 9+ minute miler by the last of the fun runs.
--- Ran the first BLS fun run of the year at just over a 13 minute pace.  Multiple sections of that run were actually under a 10 min pace (yea!), but the BLS Fun Run at Whitnall Park is filled with several long steep hills which I decided to walk so some of those sections were at a 20 min pace -- overall I'm pretty happy with the first BLS fun run result.  The concern is I have not run since that fun run - the weather got cold and rainy again which is not my favorite outdoor running conditions.  I have had two long (6 mile, 7 mile) hikes and several 30+ minute fitness walking sessions.  The hikes have been at Laphem Peak state park and have taken about 3 hours with travel time - I would do these more if I could find a way to fit this block of time in around my schedule, daylight, and the biggest impact - around Zeus's feeding and pooping schedule.  With his GI track issues this has been a big challenge.  Tonight is the next BLS fun run (last week was a BLS meeting so fun run).  It is at Greenfield Park so the route is flatter, which means much faster for me.  Last night was is cold and rainy - and I found out the 124th Street entrance no longer has access to the BLS reserved shelter, you have to enter off of Lincoln Avenue.  I entered on 124th street and then had to circle the park so I arrived just after the runners had taken off.  Knowing the rain was coming I decided not to follow after them but instead of head out the end of the run, circle the lake, and I was planning to head to the street entrance but the rain got harder and heavier so I returned after just one loop of the lake.  Short run of about 1 1/2 miles, and slower than I would have liked -- shows me I need to do my own training runs throughout the week!

Second summer goal is compete a long distance race.  I have the Ice Age Half Marathon in May, but my expectation is that I will hike that more than I will run it; although this year I would like to add some running to the course.
-- No update here.  The Ice Age Half is about 3 weeks out.  I won't make any plans until this is completed

Third running goal is to run with Zeus.  This will take time and practice to get us to a mutual pace - he is a sprinter and I can go longer (but slower) distances than he can sprint.  He also has to learn to run and not stop at every interesting leaf or mailbox!
-- No update here.  I'm convinced that Zeus' GI track issues seam to tire him out very quickly - I think he has something stuck in his stomach that is pushing on his lungs so that he can't get enough air and starts heavy panting with just a little bit of heavy exercise.  He can not go near as long or as hard as he used to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment