Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Boy!!

Happy Birthday Dear Tibbers

Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!!!


25 years ago today Tibbers the cat was born under my bed in a college house apartment on Mifflin Street in Madison, Wisconsin.  I was studying for an Accounting final (can't recall which exact class it was) and the mother cat, Monster, was pregnant with her first litter.  She was scared; her owner/my roommate Tracey was at work that night so Monster stayed around me and hung out in my room as I was studying.  That evening she had 4 kittens under my bed and I was very clueless on what to do.  We called Tracey and luckily her manager let her go home early to take care of it.  Tracey knew just what to do and started pulling these kittens that were less an hour old out from under my bed and putting them in a nice box she has set up with blankets.  Monster was barely able to follow her out from under the bed and into Tracey's bedroom.  I had to help Monster - I've never seen a more exhausted animal - she was still bloody from the birthing process and stumbled as she walked along.  Good thing I was there to keep her steady and comfort her. 

We kept the kittens for a few weeks before giving them away.  I remember the biggest kitten was orange and we called him "Tank".  I kept the cute gray and white kitten and called him Cosmo.  Sadly he had a heart condition and only lived a few months before he was suffering and the very hard but humane thing was to put him down.  There was another kitten that my mind has forgotten.  And then the last was Tibbers.  Tracey decided to keep him.  He was the sweetest boy. 

Tracey stayed in Madison only one more semester - she moved to Arizona over Christmas break of 1987 and finished college there.   She couldn't take all her cats - by then she had 3 - Monster, Tibbers, and a new kitten from Monster's 2nd litter that we named Battle Cat (Battle for short).   Monster was given back to her ex-boy friend, who was the actual first owner of Monster.  I don't know what happened to her, but I did love that cat and hope for the best.  I kept Tibbers and he lived a happy life with me for the next 10 years.  He died much to young from a heart condition - very similar to what his sister Cosmo died from when still just a few months old. Battle was Tracey's constant companion for 20 years.  Tracey has never replaced Battle with a new pet - not that a one pet can ever replace a much loved pet - but she has not taken a new pet into her home.  On the other hand, I find I need a pet in my home and life.  Things are just too quiet and lonely without a furry friend.

I have old printed photos of Tibbers, Monster, Cosmo, and Battle but none digital - I do need to add that to my ever growing to-do list to scan those photos for prosperity. 

Happy Birthday Boy!! You were there for me through so many ups and downs.  I love you.  I miss you and I pray there is a pet heaven and you are there surrounded by our other dear pets and that they are celebrating your bday with you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment