Thursday, September 27, 2012

Quick Update

Quick update to let the world know I did make it out for a run over lunch.   I ran around the Condos across from the ravine.  Almost no traffic and very few people (especially people I know) to see me.  At first I was only going to go a mile or so, but I felt fine - a little warm as those streets are better protected from the wind than St James and Parish are.   I ended up going for 2 miles.   Pace is slower than I would like but I my approach is to first get the miles in - ie, build endurance to support 3 miles, and then work on the speed. 

Mac at Get Fit Slower recommends a different approach.  He says if he were reteaching himself to start running he would go for the same duration each time and not worry about distance at all.   I think that approach works well if you are running on a treadmill.  In my approach I build up to a route that I know if 3 miles and keep running that - and just to keep me form getting board, I usually have multiple routes and variations to the distance.

I'm planning to hike on Saturday so I'll try to get some biking in on Friday.  Possibly another run on Sunday, and if not then I'll make sure to get it in on Monday.

So, I have a goal (Santa Hustle 5K) with an approach.  I do have some more work to make a plan -- and to stick with it!  Considering my running motivation being as low as it has been recently, it is a big success to have both a goal and an approach.   And I have the luxury of time - the run is 12 weeks out.  As I write this, I realize my true goal is the Snow Run in January - so 14 weeks out to get 5 miles in under 60 minutes.  For me this is an aggressive challenge.

Midpoint goals
  • Run 3 miles comfortably
  • Run 3 miles under 40 minutes
  • Run 4 miles comfortably
  • Run 3 miles under 36 minutes
  • Run 5 miles comfortably
  • Run 5 miles under 60 minutes - January 5, 2013
The more I type here, the more I worry if this is even possible.   I have to get my but in gear!  I know I can make these goals.  You hear that Destiny?  I'm ready now!

No comments:

Post a Comment