Friday, March 22, 2013

Learning to Cope

I've been working to plan something special for me on Sunday to memorize Wally's passing.  One thing I've noticed is that I'm not looking to food for comfort.  In the past I would have been all over the prospect of having some special food treat to eat to make me feel better.  I would have given myself a pass on any concerns for calories, fat content, etc.   It would have been big volumes of comfort food.

Instead of food, I'm focused on doing an activity to comfort me.  If I could, I would go on a nice long hike.  I was able to do that last year and it brought me a lot of comfort.  This year I have a knee that is fresh from surgery, the trails are still too snow covered to be enjoyable, and the day is going to have a high of around 35F.   I really wish I could have made this into a spa day at somewhere like Kohler's Water Spa.   This year I had St Dom's commitments on this date because it is also Palm Sunday and we have 2 changes this weekend - no way for me to break out for a day trip as Sunday we can't even start until noon (after the 11 am mass).   Instead this year it looks like I will be sitting home and watching pay per view movies.  The local theaters really didn't have a great selection or timing for Monday.   The budget theater did have a number of the movies that are also on pay per view (Life of Pi, Lincoln, etc) but they are all start before 1pm and there is no way for me to finish at St Dom's and make it all there there in time.

At least in 2014, this date falls on a Monday and I won't be leading the St Dom's A&E group next year; so I will be able to take a vacation day and do a day trip away from all of this and be able to focus solely on my Wally boy.  And I hope to still be able to do it without a focus on high volume of comfort food.



No comments:

Post a Comment