Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Quick Weight Loss Update

The scale showed a 4 pound loss from last week.   Yea!!! 

The weight had been creeping up since Summer but ramped up when the knee trouble escalated.   It was a combination of lack of being able to move around (reduced exercise) and increased food (both holiday excess and also frustration and stress eating related to the knee injury).

In reality the weight loss has plateaued over Summer with the conclusion of the second LW session.  Summer is a challenging time for me.  There are a lot of festivals, fun outings, and family gatherings that all have either too much food or alcohol consumption, or both.

The family vacation to New Mexico stalled my weight loss efforts.  My family tends to eat more than I do; most of them have better metabolisms than I do so the excess does not impact them.  But I need to realize that I can't 'keep up' with them and just because they have some snack doesn't mean I can join in or maybe I can just have a taste but not a serving.   Also, and this is something I still need to figure out, I have a tendency to give myself a pass for 'travel eating'.  I actually shop for snacks and candy that I can have for the flights or in the car driving.  

The New Mexico trip was quickly followed by the annual HB trip which is a text book definition of excess. Very fun but not the healthiest of weekends.

But lately I've really felt the need to get back on the LW program.  And our group is still meeting; although it is a much smaller subset - we down to 4 or 5 of us most weeks.  We've changed from watching the LW videos to another DVD series and I think that has made a good impact.   The LW DVDs are old - probably from the late 80s or early 90s.  The old hairstyle and clothing are distractions; plus the LW founder is not a very good speaker so its not the best series to watch and be motivated by.

Part of my motivation is that I know losing some additional weight will really help my knee recovery.   Another part of the recent success is both the Lenten Challenge with the chips and also the reduction of stress related to the knee.   Plus I've recently really come to terms with the fact that I can't count on my own family so I need to take care of myself now so that I don't have to try to rely on them when I'm old.   And of course, the summer motivation for shorts and swimsuits.

Overall this is a step in the right direction.  I'm pleased.   And I foresee this to continue.  I have more motivation than normal and that is making me determined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment