Sunday, January 9, 2011

2011 - the year of reductions

It took a while but I've determined 2011 will be the Year of Reductions!!

My life currently has an unwanted level of abundance.   Too much clutter, too much stock piling, too much weight, etc.   I'm feeling the need to correct these areas.  But I need to be careful of my tendency of perfectionism and the all or nothing approach -- too often I get overwhelmed and don't know where to start or feel like I'm making so little progress there is no point to continuing.  I need to work on overcoming both of those key stoppers for me.  My mantra will be "moving in the right direction"  and "a little is better than nothing".


 So on to the specific subgoals for 2011

Reduction of Stock Piling
I have too many supplies, both food and non-food (office supplies, cleaning supplies, etc).   My philosophy will be to "use it or lose it".    This will be hard - I have a tendency to creatively find bargains and stock up.  Sometimes the bargains are only available when stockpiling and purchasing larger volumes than a single household needs.   This is also a long ingrained idea that comes from the attitude of my parents as I was growing up; finding bargains is a virtue.  These goals will probably cost me more dollars but overall I expect it to create more happiness and I currently have the cash to spend and could use a bit more happiness in my life.
  1. Eat from the Pantry Challenges at least 5 times this year for periods of at least 2 weeks.  This means very limited grocery shopping during this period except for pet food and milk (and truly great deals).   I think I could get by without for anything else using substitutions (ie, out of coffee then drink tea in the morning, etc).
  2. Remove all periodicals that over 1 month old.  This covers all those old magazines that I have stacked up just waiting to be read.   The initial goal is will be to get all the pre-2009 periodicals out by end of March (first quarter), all remaining 2009 by May, and from then on keep nothing over 1 month old (ie, all January will be out by end of February).
  3. Clean out Closets - this is helped by the already purchased groupon for California Closets.  I have too much.   That's it - no additional need to clarify that sentence.   I would like to change that and have less but higher quality clothes with more cross usability.   Its time for some upgrades to what I have.  And time to let somethings go.
Reduction of weight / bmi
This is the standard one across most of Americans - time to get into shape.   And really I'm not going to have the scale define too much of this goal.   Instead, I'm going to focus on some exercise goals and challenges.
  1. Time Goal: Complete 5K in under 12 min pace.  Ultimate goal is to get back to being a 10 min mile runner but that goal can wait.  This Fall I was running close to 14 min miles and I believe I can get down to 12 min miles if I keep at it - I need to resolve my plantar fasciitis problem to make this goal
  2. Distance Goal: 1/2 Marathon.  Ultimate goal is a full marathon - its on my bucket list.   This year it is a stretch to do a 1/2 marathon and I'm reserving the right to change this if my planter faciatis keeps me from getting the miles I would need to get in for 1/2 marathon training.  Update:  I'm registered for the Ice Age Trail Half Marathon on May 14 and expect to take Marty's trail running program starting April 1 as preparation for it.
These are the goals and I'll meet them by having weekly challenges.  More on that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment