Monday, February 18, 2013

Oh, it's a Monday for Sure!!

It wasn't even 8 am this Monday was turning into the Monday of cartoons.  In the hopes of getting it off my chest and venting - I'm going to post what's bugging me, depressing me, or just all around suckie.  I'm hoping a little venting, and a little bit of putting things in true perspective will help my attitude.

sukie stuff (in no particular order)
  • medical problem #1 - I had a minor medical problem that woke me up around 2 am.  I'm not going to get into the full details because I'm not yet comfortable sharing that on the web.  But let's just say this is something that has happened in the past and I thought I knew the trigger, but there was a full day between (what I thought as) the trigger and the incident, so that's not the trigger.  And not knowing the true trigger bothers and scares me.  I'm not sure how to prevent it if I don't know what causes it.
  • medical problem #2 - the torn minuscus in the right knee.  Yesterday was nice winter weather, dry and sunny and crisp but not freezing so I took the boy on a longer walk. Overall the walk was nice, and it felt good to get out - we've been cooped up too long.   But the knee was soar overnight and again this morning.  Today there is a sharp pain and swollen/tightness to the knee and I usually don't have either. 
  • Zeus problem - Zeus peed on the carpet this morning - and I feel like it's my fault.  With waking up in the middle of the night and not sleeping well from that point on (I'm sure I was concern with it happening again, and frustrated that it happened in the first place), I ended up sleeping in later and getting a late start to actually moving.   The dog couldn't wait and peed a little on the living room carpet to relieve bladder pressure.  First it bugs me that I couldn't get my personal act together enough to get up and out on time to take him out, and second it bugs me that Zeus doesn't have enough confidence to bark and call me to take him out - he is so submissive to me that he won't let me know if he needs me. 
  • my friend Barb bought 2 tickets to the Zion passion play - at first this is good news, I'm glad Barb is going with me but I'm worried about that second ticket.  If you remember this is on the Wally anniversary weekend and I had ideas of going to this alone.  I'm considering going down earlier in the day and either visiting the Chicago Botanical Garden (something that has been on my list for a while) or if its a nice day trying some hiking trails are various parks in that area.  I'd be happy to have Barb join me in this - although if she did the hiking would have to be seriously curtailed - even with my bum knee Barb would not be able to do what I would like to hike - and if that was any other weekend than Wally's weekend I would be ok with it.  So that somewhat pushes me to the Chicago Botanical Gardens - which is ok with me.  But my bigger concern is that second ticket she purchased.  It may turn out to be the blessing in disguise that let's me go down by myself and hike.  I'm fine if her husband joins us, and Barb thought her sister may want to go if Jon decides he doesn't want to.  And I'm also fine if Barb's sister goes -- but this is the thing, I'm guessing that if either 1) Barb's sister goes she will will want to bring some of her kids along, or 2) if she can't go Barb will ask one of the nieces or nephew to go with her.   The thing is these kids are fine in small doses but it would spoil the outing for me if they were there all evening (or worse all day) with us.  They are young 20-somethings with the jaded attitude and not very nice to Barb.  I don't want them to go with us.  This outing is over a month away - I can't let myself get caught up in worrying about that 2nd ticket Barb purchased.  I need to let this go until its time to figure things out (maybe that week) and only then add some influence to who gets that ticket.
  • cheap candy doesn't equal cheap calories - I have a problem between my frugal side and my healthy side.  I have a really, really hard time passing up great deals on things I want or will use.  And after-holiday sales really can do a number on me.  This year I found a great deal on a tub of caramel popcorn for $4.  If I purchased the caramel popcorn by the bagful it would have cost me $10 to $15.  So its a great deal - but its still a lot of calories, and I ate too much of it Saturday and Sunday.  I've decided to package it up and save it for the next few weeks - I'm not sure how it will fit into my lenten promise of no more than 2 bags per week (this week I only purchased 1 bag knowing I had already picked up the popcorn tub).   And not have any more caramel popcorn until Wednesday.  The nice thing is next happens after Easter, so I have 6 more weeks or so before the itch happens again.  To help control this, I just divided the remainder into a one-serving bag for Wednesday and 2 4-serving bags for other weeks.  I labeled them with the serving size and calorie count.  I had packaged them out with measuring cups to help keep it more accurate. 
  • not much got accomplished on Sunday -  part of this was due to the later nite and bigger drinking than my average Saturday nights, and part due to starting early - I wanted to get to the Elmbrook service this weekend and I find I prefer church either Saturday night (which I couldn't do due to our meeting time) or early Sunday morning (needs to start before 9 am) - so I ended up at the early service.  And it was nice and a good message for me to hear.  While its good to take time off and 'sharpen the saw', I feel like it was more of a lazy, unproductive day and not that rejuviating.  There is much to do and I didn't get much done yesterday. 
  • poor purchase choices at the bakery - I do like good bread.  I had one of those groupons type deals for Great Harvest Bread.  After purchasing on Friday I now remember why I don't go there that often - the owner is a dick.  He's just rude and ungrateful and doesn't communicate well.  His attitude flustered me and I ended up making poor choices - I wanted to get good bread for sandwiches and ended up with the bacon cheese bread (which was a special bread of the month and I had intentionally wanted to get) and cinnamon crunch, and a blackberry cream cheese scone.  And it was a Friday in Lent so I couldn't use the bacon bread - and cinnamon crunch is not good for tuna fish sandwiches!! augh, I beat myself up for not getting a good rye bread.   I'm not a sweet breakfast person - I prefer eggs instead of pastries or pancakes.   So the cinnamon crunch is flustering me.  And I think I may have gotten sick from the bacon bread on Saturday -- I'll have to try it again to see but I'm blaming the owner for not communicating about how to store this bread with bacon and cheese - in the fridge? in the plastic bag he put in the bag with it but did not put the bread in plastic.  I worry that it shouldn't have been left out on the counter and should have been refrigerated.  I'm bummed that I didn't make better choices here. 
I do feel better after this venting.  And somethings are now in better perspective and I've taken action on others to help get them under control.   Some things are over and done and I've just got to let it go.  Other things are too far in the future and I've got to give them time to play out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment