Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Still figuring things out

I'm still working on the plans / goals / resolutions for the new year but one thing has become quite clear - I need to make it a priority to improve my life with Zeus.   He deserves better than I'm giving him.

On Saturday night I screamed at him when he was slow to come into the house after a bathroom walk. It was cold and dark and I was having no fun outside and that sweet dog just wanted to play and not come in.  I scared him.  As soon as we got into the house he hid in his crate and did not come out for a good 40 minutes.   Yes, he needs to do a better job of listening and coming when told but no, he should not be scared when he disobeys that command.   I felt bad that he felt so scared.  Its just not working well for either of us.  This needs to be a priority to fix.

I was reading a Ramit's I Will Teach You To Be Rich blog and it's really touching a nerve with me.  He used to just annoy me and I often found it hard to read all the way through the post.  He has a tough love approach, without a lot of love.  Ramit used this example and it's really stuck with me:

For example, how many of us complain about our sleep…yet have never systematically practiced improving it? Not even Googled “how to sleep better” and tested 5 different approaches? Most people just say, “Yeah…I really have trouble going to sleep….I wish I could fall asleep faster but my mind just won’t slow down!”
Wow - that's me with Zeus.  I know we have to change but so far I've mainly complained about it without much action.  This week I've googled a few times to see if there are approaches I can try to get Zeus to spend more time without me, to be able to go to the bathroom without me (ie, I just let him out, on or off a line), etc

Ramit has declared 2013 the Year of Taking Control - I like that and may be borrowing it for myself.  I'm sure his blog will become a regular read for me.  I hope I can learn and develop from his insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment