Monday, February 16, 2015

Where to begin?

I'm ready for a change.

I don't like where I am in a number of categories.

But I don't know how to begin.  I'm stuck in a rut.   I want different results but I'm basically doing the same thing.  

Actually that's not true or fair.  I have been doing different things and its making small progress.  And that's the problem - I'm discouraged by the small progress.  I want bigger results.  I want new habits.  And being discouraged and depressed by the new action's results make me want to give up.

But I don't want to give up - I want to change.  I just want the new results to come faster.  Is that really asking too much?!?!?

Honestly my biggest challenge is finding a way to celebrate the small successes and build on them.

I feel like I would benefit with a game or personal challenge to help keep me focused, engaged, and on track.  Lent challenges often work for me - and Lent starts this Wednesday.

I'm signed up for a hike-a-paloza at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois with one of my best friends. I need to get into better shape and be able hike the 35 miles and enjoy the miles.  My friend and I hiked the Grand Canyon last June.  There was a last minute cancellation that opened up beds at Phantom Ranch for us - we found out one week before the hike of that cancellation - so that means there was no training, etc.   And I struggled.   The hike was hard on me - I'm out of shape and also had knee problems.  I have more torn meniscus in both knees.   This time I know about it - and I have time to train -- meaning No Excuses this time!

So I need to have a (1) training goal - need to get in shape and ready for that hike.  I always like to have (2) spiritual goals and attend stations of the cross, etc, And for a third goal, I usually like to have a (3) eating or food related goal .   The spiritual one needs to be in the time frame for Lent,  but I can be open ended (if I want) for the other two goals.

I need to set what I want to do, and soon this Wednesday is Ash Wednesday.  

I feel good that I'm open and actively desiring  a challenge.  I feel scared that I'll quit because I don't feel major results.   Please send me good vibes to keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment